The only legend I have ever loved is
the story of a daughter lost in hell.
And found and rescued there.
Love and blackmail are the gist of it.
Ceres and Persephone the names.
And the best thing about the legend is
I can enter it anywhere.And have.
As a child in exile in
a city of fogs and strange consonants,
I read it first and at first I was
an exiled child in the crackling dusk of
the underworld, the stars blighted.Later
I walked out in a summer twilight
searching for my daughter at bed-time.
When she came running I was ready
to make any bargain to keep her.
I carried her back past whitebeams
and wasps and honey-scented buddleias.
But I was Ceres then and I knew
winter was in store for every leaf
on every tree on that road.
Was inescapable for each one we passed.
And for me.
It is winter
and the stars are hidden.
I climb the stairs and stand where I can see
my child asleep beside her teen magazines,
her can of Coke, her plate of uncut fruit.
The pomegranate!How did I forget it?
She could have come home and been safe
and ended the story and all
our heart-broken searching but she reached
out a hand and plucked a pomegranate.
She put out her hand and pulled down
the French sound for apple and
the noise of stone and the proof
that even in the place of death,
at the heart of legend, in the midst
of rocks full of unshed tears
ready to be diamonds by the time
the story was told, a child can be
hungry.I could warn her.There is still a chance.
The rain is cold.The road is flint-coloured.
The suburb has cars and cable television.
The veiled stars are above ground.
It is another world.But what else
can a mother give her daughter but such
beautiful rifts in time?
If I defer the grief I will diminish the gift.
The legend will be hers as well as mine.
She will enter it.As I have.
She will wake up.She will hold
the papery flushed skin in her hand.
And to her lips.I will say nothing.
- dizzyizzygirl reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- cobblestonecontingent likes this
- ucdlawsoc reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- christchex reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- spindletrees reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- highbrowandbeard reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- rricocheting likes this
- writtenremedie reblogged this from bouquetsofperfumedstars
- weatheredprince likes this
- bouquetsofperfumedstars reblogged this from the-telesterion
- dionysian-light likes this
- ravens1991 reblogged this from bayoread
- ravens1991 likes this
- drunkenirishjew reblogged this from the-telesterion
- drunkenirishjew likes this
- clockwerkcricket reblogged this from bayoread
- uminotenshi likes this
- azurelazures reblogged this from bayoread
- travelandunravel likes this
- capriciouslystill likes this
- bayoread reblogged this from the-telesterion
- the-telesterion reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- whenthemusicsended likes this
- d-e-s-p-o-e-n-a reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- direcalico likes this
- thetobinspiritguide likes this
- quadrille reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- alice6things likes this
- alice6things reblogged this from unpetaling
- unpetaling reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- unpetaling likes this
- silverseamoons likes this
- drunkonstyle likes this
- heretherebewildthings reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- acedias likes this
- lillian-persephone-fistor reblogged this from fyhadesandpersephone
- quadrille likes this
- fyhadesandpersephone reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- denisedo560 likes this
- morganyou8 likes this
- catue893 likes this
- no-perks-in-being-nix reblogged this from themysteryofthings
- mudblooded likes this
- karendactyl likes this
- themysteryofthings posted this